Dr. Petrakis is a Professor of Psychiatry and Director of the Addiction Psychiatry Residency at Yale University School of Medicine and the Director of the Mental Health Service Line at VA Connecticut Healthcare System (VACHS) since July 2010. Dr. Petrakis completed residency training at Yale School of Medicine and then a NIDA-funded addiction psychiatry clinical/research fellowship. She joined the faculty in 1992. From 1992- 2010, she was the Director of the Substance Abuse Treatment Program of the VACHS.
Her research interests are predominately two-fold: (1) finding appropriate treatments for dually diagnosed individuals and (2) understanding the neurobiological mechanisms underlying alcohol dependence. She has received funding from the Department of Defense, NIH-NIAAA, the VA, NARSAD and the Stanley Foundation. She is also the PI of both an NIAAA-funded and a NIDA-funded training grant (T32).
The Yale Addiction Psychiatry program is ranked number one by US News and World Report and has been so for many years.
- Professor of Psychiatry and Director of the Addiction Psychiatry Residency, Yale University School of Medicine
- Director, Mental Health Service Line at VA Connecticut Healthcare System (VACHS)
- Residency, Yale School of Medicine
- Completed a NIDA-funded Addiction Psychiatry Clinical/Research Fellowship
- Director, Substance Abuse Treatment Program, VACHS